1.15.2011

Death Mountain (1)

Death Mtn, Day One.
With GottaCon only a couple weeks away I ventured through the sunlight to my local GW to pick up the Fortress of Redemption.
These sketches are old, before I saw the sprues and fitted bits together, but they are on hand as reference. Thus armed, I began to dig at the styrofoam.
This was set up #1. The plan was to stretch it across 2 2'x2' foam bases, with enough room for a tank pit. Although it might have worked ok, it was not true to the feel of the sketches (or what I had in mind).
So I switched to a single 2'x2' base. This made it more cliffy and claustrophobic. From the beginning I was wanting something embedded into the rock, not simply built on top.
The first layer was trimmed (roughly), fitted, and glued.
Then a second layer. The first piece (the base) is an inch thick, but a lot firmer than the 3" pink foam.
And layer three, that's a 17" tall mountain fortress.
See you for day 2,
Ricalope.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks very promising, looking forward to see it's completion.

the other Kevin said...

Well planned and coming along nicely. Can't wait to see this one done up.

Porky said...

Looking good so far - the atmosphere's already building.

Meatball said...

Looking great, I can't wait to see the final product!

Joe B said...

It is a great looking start, I like the built-in emplacements. look forward the future steps.

Deadmeat said...

This is awesome and looking forward to the completion of this.