11.03.2009

Fly the Flag (Assembly)







Well, Hallowe'en celebrations are over, back to the grind..

The Sheffield Irregulars are having a painting competition for November, the theme being "fly the flag". I began by selecting bitz and visualizing the conversion the morning after Hallowe'en. In this state of subconsciousness, I liberated a small pile of arms, legs, skulls and a banner.

Beginning with the base, since this will be a "minirama" I selected a large base, built a very ruined portion of barricade and added a strip of sidewalk. a pile or refuse was added, (an orc skull, a gas can, and the iconic helmet-on-shovel).

The next step was the two guardsmen that make up the subject matter. Several ideas went through my mind, things like victorious banner waving, piles of fallen foes, last man standing, but in the end a more sombre theme won. The concept became centred upon the leadership aspect of a regimental standard.

The veteran, entrusted with the regiment's banner, leads his wounded, blind comrade through a warzone. They are almost covered in battle damage, yet still moving forward.

Soon, I will paint them...

Ricalope, SL.

5 comments:

Cawshis Clay said...

I've come to expect high quality work from your blog and this piece is no suprise! I love the seals and little nicks and dents all over the veterans.

This piece tells a story! I can't wait to see it painted!

Unknown said...

Oh, I almost forgot!
I wanted to send a kudos, the guardsmen are modeled so that they stand on the sand, this technique worked really well (so far). A small piece of thin plasticard was glued to the bottoms of their feet, to raise them to the same height of the sand. For some reason I can't find the blog I got this idea from...

Cawshis Clay said...

Someone else might have mentioned it, Ricalope, but Ron over at From the Warp has a tutorial on exactly that!

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/02/ftw-quick-tip-how-to-prevent-sinking.html

Unknown said...

Yes! I thank Ron (may the Emperor bless FTW)

Craig said...

this is gonna be brilliant mate